Screening candidates, especially for technical positions, is always a challenge. While an applicant may tell you they have experience with certain tasks, how can you know for sure? Are they being honest, or are they exaggerating to get the position? The best way to uncover the truth is to use pre-employment testing software.
Pre-employment testing software can assess a wide variety of specific skills. This includes everything from soft skills to computer-based skills, or advanced technical skills. Beyond that, pre-employment testing can also uncover personality characteristics and behavioral traits. These are useful to examine as they are usually indicative of future job performance.
With testing results scored objectively, it becomes easier to compare top candidates side-by-side. This also ensures hiring decisions are data-driven and free of unconscious bias.
To save you time, I’ve compiled a list of the 10 best pre-employment testing software for evaluating potential staff. Keep reading to find the best software for your specific business needs.
Wondering what I look for when selecting the best pre-employment testing software for this list? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): I look for software with a clean, colourful, and uncluttered interface that candidates would enjoy using.
- Usability: I prioritize software that’s easy to set up and share with candidates, with results and data clearly organized and digestible to support quick decision-making.
- Integrations: I prefer pre-employment testing software that integrates with other recruiting software such as applicant tracking systems or candidate sourcing software.
- Value for $: I appreciate software with transparent pricing structures such as per-test or per-candidate options, or the ability to order tests in scalable packages.
Pre-Employment Testing Software: Key Features
Here’s a summary of the main features you can expect to find in the best pre-employment testing software:
- A library of testing templates: A selection of ready-to-go templates designed for specific job roles or industries.
- A range of testing types: Common sub-types of pre-employment testing include technical or coding assessments, software skills, psychometric tests, cognitive aptitude measures, behavioral assessments, personality tests, measures of emotional intelligence, computer or office skills tests, job-specific skill assessments, and assessments for other soft skills.
- Role-based simulations: These are engineered scenarios that reflect real-world job tasks. They allow human resources teams to assess how applicants would excel in a specific role.
- Automated candidate ranking: A time-saving feature that automatically sorts candidates based on their test scores and overall job fit status.
- Bias-reducing features: Candidate ranking that focuses solely on skill-based scoring, plus advanced features like blind reviews where the personal details of candidates are anonymized.
- Digital proctoring: Software features that prevent candidates from cheating, such as locked down browsers or other system features, video-based candidate ID verification features, visual environmental checks, and tools to identify plagiarized code.
People Managing People is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
Overviews Of The 10 Best Pre-Employment Testing Software
Here’s a brief description of each pre-employment testing software to showcase each tool’s best use case. I’ve also highlighted some noteworthy features and included screenshots to give you a snapshot of the user interface.
Qualified’s performance-based coding assessment platform takes the guesswork out of evaluating programming and software development skills. Their system supports assessments in 29 programming languages and has a library of pre-built assessment situations to make technical assessments easy to implement. Or, you can use their challenge authoring suite to create your own custom challenge, but still benefit from their automated candidate scoring and other features.
Their assessment reports include benchmarking statistics that compare candidates to all other developers within Qualified’s platform. To ensure applicants are submitting original work, they have a built-in risk detection feature to flag potentially plagiarized code. Another interesting feature is their optional blind review function that ensures talent is identified based on skills and merit and not other personal characteristics. Their code playback feature is also really useful as it records applicants as they develop their code. This allows technical employees to watch how applicants work and gain deeper insight into each programmer’s thought process and problem solving ability.
Qualified integrates with applicant tracking systems (ATS), including Greenhouse, Workable, and BambooHR. Further integrations are available through their API, webhooks, or integration with Zapier.
Pricing details for Qualified are only available upon request, but a free trial can be requested through their website.
With over 2,500 skill tests in their library, iMocha is a comprehensive pre-employment testing option for a wide range of industries with technical needs. Beyond all the classic programming languages, users can also initiate tests for other programs like the full Adobe suite, Amazon-specific portals, cybersecurity risk management, specific enterprise-level software systems (like SAP, Salesforce and the full Microsoft suite) and many other applications.
To ensure diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) among candidates, their bias-free assessment report focuses exclusively on skill-based analyses, while anonymizing other candidate details for more objective comparisons. Their AI-powered system also proctors assessments through real-time images, audio, and video, ensuring that answers are 100% authentic. This type of digital automation makes it a natural fit for virtual campus hiring drives or assessing other remote candidates. To further support university recruitment, iMocha also assesses the job-readiness of graduates with tips for skill gaps they need to address.
iMocha integrates with popular ATS software including Greenhouse, Jobvite, iCIMS, SmartRecruiters, Level, and Taleo.
Pricing details for iMocha are only available upon request, but a free trial and free demo can be requested through their website.
Criteria’s well-rounded testing platform is scalable, making it suitable for small & medium-sized businesses all the way up to enterprise-level clients. Their skill assessments are focused on softer psychometric skills like cognitive aptitude, personality, emotional intelligence, risk, and job readiness through basic computer skill tests.
One standout feature in their assessment roster is their game-based assessments, developed by their in-house team of industrial and organizational (I/O) psychologists. While still rigorous and data-rich, game-based assessments provide candidates with a fun and immersive experience where they are more engaged in the material than with traditional assessments. This improves the candidate experience, making them more likely to pursue their application further.
Criteria integrates with common ATS or HRIS platforms, including BambooHR, Greenhouse, iCIMS, Jobvite, Lever, Talent Hub, Oracle Taleo, PageUp, SAP SuccessFactors, SmartRecruiters, and many others.
Pricing details for Criteria are only available upon request, but a 21-day free trial (max. 20 tests) can be requested through their website.
Vervoe’s system comes pre-loaded with 300 pre-employment assessment test templates designed by leading industrial and organizational (I/O) psychologists. These can be used as is, or easily customized with your own questions, or additional items from their bank of 300,000 questions. For technical positions, their platform includes challenges in 8 common coding languages. They also boast strong assessment capabilities for other industries such as marketing and advertising, customer service, retail, healthcare, and call-center recruiting. To ensure candidates are the right fit, hiring teams can use their Customer Service Simulator to develop simulations of what each role is actually like, to see how applicants cope.
System admins have the ability to customize the candidate experience through Vervoe by including a video introduction that welcomes candidates, introduces their company and provides instructions prior to the actual skill testing. As skill tests are completed, Vervoe uses AI to score and rank candidate results in real-time. Top performers are automatically moved to the top of the results dashboard and identified with trophies and badges highlighting their top skills. Hiring managers can use the platform to compare top applicants side-by-side to support decision-making. Once users mark a candidate as ‘hired’ this further enhances the machine learning algorithm for assessing future candidates.
Vervoe integrates with other popular recruiting and workflow tools such as Greenhouse, PageUp, SmartRecruiters, Zapier, and others. Their API also allows for additional integrations customizations.
Pricing for Vervoe starts at $109 USD/month. A free demo and free trial can also be requested through their website.
TestGorilla allows hiring teams to create high-quality assessments with tight turnaround times. Based on the name of each job role you’re looking to assess, TestGorilla automatically suggests the best pre-loaded testing template to use for each position (and you can add your own questions if you want too). They also allow users to combine multiple types of assessments into one packaged test for your candidates. This is helpful as it provides a better candidate experience rather than sending out multiple testing links for skill tests and behavioral assessments, for example. Their system also includes the ability to collect video interview responses to further assess candidate personalities too.
TestGorilla integrates with major applicant tracking systems such as Greenhouse, JazzHR, Lever, SmartRecruiters and others. Their mobile app also supports assessments on Android or iOS devices too.
Pricing for TestGorilla starts at $25 USD/month, though they do have a free forever plan with limited features that would work for focused recruiting (unlimited candidates, but only 5 tests). A free demo can also be requested through their website.
Mercer Mettl’s cloud-based assessment platform offers talent assessment solutions as well as coding assessment tools and other unique hiring solutions. Within their talent assessment module users can choose from psychometric tests, behavioral tests, aptitude tests, coding tests, domain tests, and spoken English tests. Their system includes robust digital proctoring features that ensure candidates cannot cheat, as well as 24×7 instant customer support and mobile friendly access. Their tests are currently used in 80 countries and administered in 26 languages.
Their coding platform for technical assessments is extensive, including 100,000+ questions and advanced role-based simulations for front end + back end + full stack development, plus database development, devops, quality assurance and data science. Another really neat feature is their Mettl Xathon module which is an end-to-end hackathon solution that organizes the whole process in 4 easy steps. Hackathons are a useful campus hiring tool as they can generate innovation and enthusiasm for your company amongst new talent, while also screening potential candidates for future roles.
Mettl integrates with many applicant tracking systems including Darwinbox, Freshteam, Greenhouse, Naukri RMS, NoPaperForms, Optevus, Peoplise, Skillate, TurboHire and Zoho Recruit. As well, they also integrate with Canvas and D2L—two popular learning management systems.
Pricing details for Mettl are only available upon request, though you can request a free demo or free trial through their website.
eSkill’s talent assessment platform supports pre-employment assessments, as well as skill set testing, behavioral assessments, and voice & video interviewing to gain a comprehensive picture of all applicants. Their assessment catalogue is comprehensive, with over 800 standard tests and 5,000 combinable topics to choose from. You can also insert your own customized job-related questions too. Their system also makes it easy for candidates to self-record video interviews answering predefined questions, which saves time by reducing the need for multiple live interviews. Instead, video responses can be watched by hiring managers at their convenience, when reviewing testing results and submissions from other applicants in tandem to make comparisons easier.
Their cognitive assessments help predict how candidates would perform if hired, and also include a skills gap assessment to highlight any key experience qualified candidates might be lacking. Their detailed skill gap analysis can also inform the next steps in the recruiting process such as skill-based onboarding. This is a modern approach that utilizes pre-employment testing data to develop a customized training process for new hires to ensure they receive the proper training for areas they aren’t already familiar with.
eSkill integrates with many popular recruiting software platforms such as JazzHR, Avionte, Bullhorn, Oracle, Applicant Pro, iCIMS, Outmatch, Jobvite, Talegent, Taleo, and many others. They also have an API to support other custom software configurations.
Pricing details for eSkill are only available upon request, though you can request a free demo through their website.
Talview’s online assessment platform covers four main styles of testing: an essay test, typing test, online coding tests, and advanced STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) tests. Their programming/coding assessments are available in 52 programming languages including Java, Ruby, Python and many others. They’re a useful tool for pre-screening large volumes of technical applicants—such as university students—ensuring you only spend time interviewing the top talent in the group.
Their security features are noteworthy, and stand out against other testing providers in this list. Tests are completed within their Talview Secure Browser which locks down access to other system resources like applications, other web tabs, or offline information when an assessment is underway. Remote cognitive proctoring automatically monitors for fraudulent activity via video, flags any suspicious activities, and warns or blocks candidates who appear to be cheating. They also have a 360° Test Environment Check feature that prompts candidates to visually verify elements of their exam room before initiating the test, including their table/desk, ceiling, floor, and the absence of earphones, plus a 360 degree video capture of the entire room.
Talview integrates with several other software providers including Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle, and TalentLMS.
Pricing details for Talview are only available upon request, though you can request a free demo through their website.
Woven’s sophisticated technical assessment platform serves a niche market: computer software engineers. However, it aims to assess candidates beyond their baseline coding ability and therefore focuses on more advanced software engineering aspects such as architecture, systems design, and debugging. It’s well-suited for senior engineering positions, such as engineering managers, or fullstack, SRE/DevOps, frontend, backend, generalist, or data engineers.
Their platform is unique in that it combines a blend of automations with oversight and scoring by real human engineers. To start the process, the system automatically recommends work simulations based on your job criteria. Candidates can then complete the technical assessments on their own time, within a 30, 60 or 90-minute time limit. Once the assessment is complete, it is blind scored by two engineers who use a structured score rubric to determine reliable candidate ratings. If there are any disagreements between rubric items, then the item is escalated to a third engineer to resolve.
Woven integrates natively with applicant tracking systems, job boards, and productivity tools like Slack, though other specific software applications are not noted on their website.
Pricing for Woven starts at $2,900 USD per hire. However, that includes a 60-day money-back guarantee on annual plans, plus a 120-day guarantee on all hires made through their system. You can also request a free demo and free trial through their website.
HR Avatar’s employee testing software has a library of 200+ tests to choose from, including skills and knowledge assessments, personality and emotional intelligence tests, cognitive abilities, past behaviors, workplace competencies, and a job-specific all-in-one assessment. Or, you can also use their Custom Test Builder to create your own blended evaluations. Their easy-to-use platform goes beyond pre-employment tests and includes other features like live or recorded video interviews, remote test proctoring, automated reference checks and advanced reporting, all rolled into the same per-candidate price.
As their name suggests, HR Avatar specializes in job simulations using 2D character animation to maximize candidate engagement during the testing process. Upon receiving their testing link, candidates are greeted by an HR Avatar who walks them through the testing process and asks them to perform job-related tasks. Upon completion, system admins receive a detailed report by email or text that includes scores for each individually measured competency, as well as a match rating for the specific job role. Built upon decades of job research, their reports also include expert interview questions tailored to each candidate’s results to help you conduct an effective follow-up interview.
Pricing for HR Avatar starts at $45 USD/candidate, and is available in additional candidate ‘packs’ at scale. You can also request a free demo or a 14-day free trial through their website.
Need Expert Help Selecting The Right Recruitment Testing Software?
People Managing People has joined forces with the software comparison platform Crozdesk.com to assist you in finding the best tool for your needs. Crozdesk’s Recruitment Testing Software advisors can create a personalized shortlist of software solutions with unbiased recommendations to help you identify the solutions that best suit your business’s needs. Through our partnership you get free access to their bespoke software selection advice, removing both time and hassle from the research process.
It only takes a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a quick call at no cost or commitment. Based on your needs you’ll receive customized software shortlists listing the best-fitting solutions from their team of software advisors (via phone or email). They can even connect you with your selected vendor choices along with community negotiated discounts. To get started, please complete the form below:
The 10 Best Pre-Employment Testing Software Summary
|Pricing upon request||Check out Qualified|
Free trial and free demo
|Pricing upon request||Check out iMocha|
21 days free trial (max. 20 tests)
|Pricing upon request||Check out Criteria|
|From $109 USD/month||Check out Vervoe|
|From $25 USD/month||Check out TestGorilla|
Free demo and free trial
|Pricing upon request||Visit Website|
|Pricing upon request||Check out eSkill|
|Pricing upon request||Check out Talview|
Free demo and free trial
|From $2,900 USD per hire||Check out Woven|
14 days free trial
|From $45 USD/candidate||Check out HR Avatar|
Here are a few more options that didn’t make the best pre-employment testing software list:
- The Hire Talent – Easy-to-use pre-employment testing tool with detailed candidate performance reports
- Resource Associates – Straightforward pre-employment testing provider with a comprehensive test library and “on demand” pricing
- pymetrics – Modern skills assessment platform including 12 gamified tests that measure cognitive and emotional attributes within a unique and engaging testing experience.
- Coderbyte – Advanced coding assessment platform suitable for screening new graduates up to senior engineers, including a module to compensate applicants for the time spent on their assessment – also available as a free trial.
- Cappfinity – Sophisticated suite of talent assessment tools for any size of business, from rapid, mobile-ready assessments to digital job simulations and data-driven leadership assessments.
- Harver – Validated and unbiased pre-hire assessments that address hard skills, cognitive & learning agility, behavioral elements, and job fit.
- McQuaig – Flexible pre-employment skills testing software well-suited for part-time, hourly roles, and small businesses or startups.
- Hire Success – Pre-employment testing and hiring system that screens for integrity, personality traits, aptitude and skills, or custom features – available as a free trial.
- EYardstick – Coding and database simulation testing software with 150+ pre-built technical assessments or the ability to design your own – available as a 14-day free trial.
- WizeHire – Candidate assessment and pre-screening software with predictive skills tests and DISC+ (decisive, interactive, stable and cautious + motivators) personality assessments.
- EmployTest – Affordable applicant testing tool to gauge future job performance and make smarter hiring decisions, with a scalable pay-per-test pricing model.
- Match.hr – Data-driven personality assessment software based on the OCEAN (openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism) model – developed by the University of Cambridge’s Psychometrics Centre.
- HireVue – Enterprise-level candidate management software with coding assessments, game-based assessments, and other useful interviewing and hiring tools.
- Plum – A holistic suite of talent assessment tools, including a predictive, psychometric behavioral assessment for all candidates.
- TestInvite – Talent acquisition software that compares candidates against objective criteria, with a large library of customizable tests for a wide range of skills.
What Are The Benefits Of Pre-Employment Testing?
Pre-employment testing can improve the quality of your recruitment process and the candidates you hire in many ways. Here are some of the main benefits you can expect to gain from using pre-employment testing software:
- You’ll accelerate your hiring process by:
- spending less time sorting and screening applicants.
- only focusing on the top-scoring candidates.
- You’ll gain a realistic understanding of each applicant’s skill level for particular tasks.
- You’ll gain deeper insights into your candidates prior to interviewing them, allowing you to ask more effective follow-up questions when you finally do meet.
- You’ll be able to assess applicants’ personality traits to predict future job performance.
- You’ll be able to assess whether a candidate is a good culture fit for your team.
- You’ll ensure hiring decisions are based on data rather than unconscious bias.
- You’ll improve your candidate experience by offering them more opportunities to engage with your company, as well as post-test feedback for future opportunities.
- You’ll gain valuable data that can be translated into onboarding and orientation training for candidates who are hired despite some skill gaps.
How Important Is Pre-Employment Testing?
With all of the benefits noted above, it’s hard to imagine not using some form of pre-employment testing. This is especially true for technical positions that require advanced skills. When you consider that the cost of a bad hire can reach as high as 30% of the employee’s annual salary, it makes sense to invest a little more in finding the best candidate for the position up-front.
In fact, recent research indicates that the global market for pre-employment testing software is on the rise. It’s expected to grow at a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 11% between 2022 and 2028, with an estimated value of $292.4 million USD by 2028.
What Do You Think About This List?
I hope this article gave you a better understanding of pre-employment testing and how it can add value to your recruiting process.
If you still need more help with candidate selection, take a look at our list of the best candidate sourcing software to help you find the best talent.
You may also appreciate some other tips on how to maintain the candidate experience, especially if your company is going through a period of rapid growth.
We also have a free leadership assessment tool that measures 7 key skill areas, which is another great way to assess existing employees too.
Last but not least, I encourage you to subscribe to our People Managing People newsletter to stay on top of the latest trends in HR, leadership, and organizational development.
Need Expert Help Finding The Right Human Resource Software?
We’ve partnered with the software comparison portal Crozdesk.com to help you find the right solution. Crozdesk’s Human Resource Software advisors can give you independent advice and shortlist software products that best fit your specific needs. Our partnership gives you free access to their tailored software selection advice and community negotiated discounts, taking the hassle out of the research process.
It takes just a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a call at no cost or commitment. You’ll get custom product shortlists covering the top solutions that best fit your specific needs from their team of software experts (via phone or email) and they can even connect you to your choice of the selected vendors. To get started, please submit the form below: