Properly onboarding new employees costs time and resources but is well worth the investment. Why? A good onboarding experience can increase employee retention by up to 82% and productivity by 70%.
The HR software in this list specializes in onboarding features, solutions, and processes to save you resources and help you craft an effective onboarding experience.
Keep reading to learn about the best onboarding software options, including best use cases, stand-out features, and even snapshots of the platform in action.
What do I look for when I select the best employee onboarding apps? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- UI: Onboarding software will need to have a tailored user interface for each type of user—administrative and employee. HR personnel will need access to onboarding program creation tools, employee data fields, and progress reports. Employees need a UI that prioritizes program mapping, software tutorials, and help desk access.
- Usability: I look for HR onboarding software where the user experience works with the user, not against them. The day one onboarding experience with these different tools should be intuitive, fun, logical, and well-paced.
- Integrations: It’s a safe assumption that you use common tools like Slack, Microsoft, and Google products, just to name a few. How easily do the following software solutions integrate with these kinds of tools?
- Value for $: I’m looking for an HR onboarding experience with a scalable, transparent pricing structure that works as a standalone product or as part of a complete HR stack. Generous free trials or freemium plans are welcomed.
HR For Onboarding: Key Features
- Company wiki: Well organized information and FAQs will be invaluable to any new employee needing basic how-tos, ORG charts, and company culture notes.
- Automate workflows: Instead of needing to do something over and over, I look for software that allows the user to create criteria and triggers to automate HR processes.
- Communication with Liaison(s): Onboarding tools should connect new employees to the names, faces, and contact information of the people who can help them.
- Training modules: Onboarding means a lot of process orientation and training; software can help organize, facilitate, and track learning initiatives.
- Contracts and e-signatures: Official papers can either be paperless through the onboarding system or scanned into the system for document management purposes.
- Self-service benefits: Onboarding may include signing up for company benefits like health care, parking passes, and supply requests; this can all be done virtually.
- Employee feedback: The ability to collect feedback and questions across the onboarding process is invaluable to assure employees are feeling satisfied with the structure and pace.
People Managing People is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
HR Software For Onboarding: Platform Overviews
In this section, I will introduce each of the best HR software for onboarding and explain what each does best so that you can better understand which will work for you.
Eddy is the all-in-one HR suite built for local businesses. With Eddy, businesses can hire, onboard, manage, and pay employees with one easy-to-use software for local businesses with deskless workforces.
Eddy’s simple, yet robust onboarding process makes the transition from candidate to new hire easy to manage. Communicate to new hires important information like start date, starting pay, who their manager is, and what they should wear on their first day to work. Create customizable “New Hire Packets” that include the necessary documents employees needs to sign.
All documents can be signed electronically, can be assigned specific due dates, and company admins will receive updates regarding the new hire’s progress. Eddy’s onboarding also helps your team aligned by assigning internal team tasks to make sure the new hire has a desk, laptop, or other necessary essentials.
Eddy starts at $8/employee/month plus a $49 base fee, and offers a free demo.
monday.com is marketing mainly as a workflow tool for scaling an organization, but they’ve also built in a number of HR features, and specifically, some features for onboarding. It’s not a pure HR tool but it’s a useful tool with a lot of the basics.
monday.com is great for creating collaborative onboarding workflows that map out the processing of interviewing and hiring, keep multiple parties abreast of developments and next steps, and allow for commenting and task assignment throughout the process. They have a new employee onboarding template to get you started.
monday.com’s integrations include project management apps like Slack, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Calendar, Jira, GitHub, Trello, Dropbox, Typeform and many more, accessible through a paid plan with Zapier.
monday.com costs from $8/user/month and offers a free trial. They have a freemium plan for up to 2 users.
ClearCompany makes paperless onboarding simple with automated online delivery, tracking, collection, and storage of all forms and documents. You can save time and money while eliminating errors by using ClearCompany’s smart forms, which put an end to redundant data entry by pre-filling previously entered information and validating data for formatting and accuracy.
ClearCompany integrates with tools for assessment tests, background checks, calendars, job postings, payroll and benefits, and SSO.
ClearCompany offers customized pricing upon request.
intelliHR is a people management and automation platform built for organizations to centralize and improve core HR processes, performance management and people data analytics. intelliHR provides best-practice tools for HR and managers to align, manage and enable a people and culture strategy within a broader business strategy.
intelliHR adds value through its workflows and automation features such as streamlined onboarding from introduction to probation, compliance and policy acceptance and paperless processes.
intelliHR has an industry-leading NPS, with an award-winning customer support team experienced in HR and change management. The team uses design thinking workshops, tailored to each customer, to ensure the software is launched smoothly, with a high adoption rate.
The platform is easy to customize to fit specific needs and requirements. intelliHR can also integrate with your applicant tracking system to make it even easier to add new hires to the onboarding workflow. Managers can use the analytics feature to keep up to speed with their team through features like goals, feedback and regular check-ins.
intelliHR costs from $3.60/user/month (annual plan). They also offer a free demo and a 30-day free trial of the employee engagement product tier.
Leapsome offers an employee onboarding tool that helps organizations connect the dots between learning, engagement, and performance. Chosen by companies like Spotify, Northvolt, and Babbel, Leapsome enables a continuous cycle of performance management and personalized learning that powers the growth of your people and business.
With Leapsome, you can bring new hires up to speed with content that is easy to sequence and customize for specific teams or functions within the company. Team leads can control the pace of learning paths to make sure that people spend the right time on each module. Plus, you can define intervals and milestones in the progression of each path.
Leapsome enables you to design and publish quizzes to test the effectiveness of your learning paths and gauge how individuals absorb the information. Using this, you can check on the learning progress of your employees to understand exactly what is working and what needs tweaking within the process.
Leapsome integrates with HRIS systems, SSO, and other workflow tools.
Leapsome costs from $8/user/month and offers a free trial.
Absorb LMS is an award-winning learning management system with smart administrative features, high quality learner engagement tools, and even ecommerce options to sell your own custom built courses. All of this makes it an excellent solution for onboarding new employees with flexible training programs online.
Absorb LMS empowers organizations to onboard employees with the skills needed to stay modern and relevant in today’s fast-paced world. Delivering employee onboarding training with Absorb LMS fuels employee confidence and productivity. Not only is it an intuitive online employee training software but—thanks to both the administrator and learner interfaces being designed to meet WCAG 2.0 accessibility standards—it’s also one of the most accessible.
Absorb LMS has all the features and functionalities you’d expect from award-winning onboarding software, except it doesn’t require a dedicated eLearning expert to use it. Whether you’re training one hundred employees or one hundred thousand, with everyone under one roof or many, Absorb LMS uses automation and artificial intelligence to scale learning at SMBs and global corporations alike.
Absorb LMS integrates with ADP, Salesforce, Zoom and Microsoft Teams, and provides access to thousands of ready-to-use courses through content library partners such as BizLibrary, Skillsoft, and LinkedIn Learning.
Absorb LMS costs from $10,000/year.
iSpring Learn gives you everything you need to run onboarding effectively and transform your business with improved training. You can scan all needed docs, convert PPT presentations to an online format, upload them to the platform, and assign them to new hires. Or create training programs online and organize them into learning paths.
You can also assign department managers as administrators and let them control the onboarding process in their team as well as training overall. Employees can share feedback on courses and communicate with supervisors right on the platform.
You can automate any training program so that iSpring Learn does all the tedious tasks like assigning courses to employees, notifying them of upcoming deadlines, and testing their knowledge and skills.
Unlike similar platforms, iSpring Learn provides you with the most detailed and insightful learner progress reports on a particular employee, a department, or the entire team. Based on these, you can easily identify new hires’ strengths and points of growth, their commitment to upskilling, and more essential information that helps you decide whether a person should stay in the company after the probationary period and how to develop them to realize their full potential.
Not only can you deliver training courses and assess how well new hires have acquired essential information about the company and their role in it, but you can also introduce them to the entire team using an interactive organization structure. It shows all the departments of your company and the employees who work there, along with their contact information, so new hires can quickly find the needed person without interrupting their colleagues.
iSpring Learn’s interface is intuitive, modern, and well thought out so even those low on the tech-savvy scale can use all of its multiple features to manage training like a pro.
iSpring Learn seamlessly integrates with your HR system, corporate portal, ERP system, and other systems.
Plans for iSpring Learn start at $3.66 USD/year per active user (meaning, you pay only for those who train on the platform, not all registered users). They offer a 30-day free trial.
Rippling is an employee management platform with onboarding tools for administrative data entry, payroll, benefits enrollment, and learning management modules to streamline the welcome process for new team members. Instead of needing to rely on traditional paperwork and signatures, Rippling sends e-documentation to employees that can be signed electronically on the spot.
Rippling has a full feature suite for managing employee device set-up, configuration, security, and monitoring. Their IT onboarding tools ensure all workplace apps and software are installed and password protected before the employee ever gets to their desk. You can even control team password management (with single sign-on and multi-factor authentication) to ensure no one’s password is left as “1234” or “password.”
Rippling integrates with over 400+ apps, including Google Workspace, Slack, Zoom, Asana, Zendesk, and more.
Rippling starts at $8/user/month and offers a free 30-minute demo.
User experience can be fairly iffy on HR software—especially for enterprise-level solutions—but Looop makes use of modern user experience principles to optimize the user experience and has won numerous UI and CX awards in the process. Looop boasts both iOS and Android mobile apps, too, further supporting its customer-first approach to content delivery.
Looop provides no-code onboarding “course” creation for online learning management systems as well as training automation to make sure new employees are seeing the right material, in the right order, at the right time. The training process is primarily self-service oriented and the platform is ridiculously intuitive, so new additions to your team can dive in and start working immediately and at their own pace.
Looop starts at $299/month for up to 50 users and comes with a 7-day free trial.
Humi is branded as Canada’s #1 all-in-one HR software. Humi allows you to automate many of the mundane onboarding tasks to streamline the hiring process, and allows for electronic signatures. Humi offers an in-depth hub for employee data to ensure that nothing will be lost in the chaos that comes when you onboard new hires.
With its focus on Canada, Humi is the best choice for getting all the right paperwork for Canadian Benefits, T4s, and more. Humi offers a user-friendly and simple interface, as well as an app for a mobile device.
Like many of the other HR software featured in this list, Humi integrates with all the common apps like Slack, Microsoft, and Google products, and more.
A free demo can be arranged through Humi. They have a free trial that you can try out too.
HR Software For Onboarding Summary
|From $8/employee/||Check out Eddy|
14 days free trial
|From $8/user/month||Check out monday.com|
|pricing upon request||Check out ClearCompany|
30 days free trial and free Demo
|From $3.60/user/month (annual plan)||Check out intelliHR|
|From $8/user/month||Check out Leapsome|
|From $10,000 annually||Check out Absorb LMS|
30 days free trial
|From $3.66/active user/year||Check out iSpring Learn LMS|
Free demo available
|From $8/user/month||Check out Rippling|
7 days free trial
|From $299/month for up to 50 users||Check out Looop|
|Pricing upon request||Check out Humi|
Other HR Software Onboarding Platforms
Here’s a few more that didn’t make the top list.
- Qualtrics EmployeeXM – Enterprise-grade HR software with onboarding tool and a focus on employee experience. Boasts a SaaS marketplace for a mix-and-match solution.
- Newired – Onboarding solution with a feature to place contextual overlays over documents to give further guidance.
- Avature Onboarding –
Onboarding tool that uses an AI to read CVs and make smart learning recommendations and career goals they can follow within your organization.
- Wrike – Excellent template library for building process documentation, training workflows, and setting up a task-management schedule for learning goals and outcomes. It’s a free plan for unlimited users meaning it can be a supplementary tool to whatever else you are using.
- Sage HR – Automate the onboarding process through predefined tasks with its workflow builder and onboarding checklist.
- Lessonly – LMS with a simple interface that allows you to create content in minutes.
- Process Street – Software solution that makes workflow creation a quick and simple process.
- Collage HR – Simple solution to collect all required information prior to starting day.
- Jobvite Onboard – Offers a centralized onboarding platform so new hires can get the right answers right within the platform.
- EMPtrust HR – Onboarding solution puts emphasis on compliance with its e-verify solutions.
- Talmundos – Highly customizable onboarding solution that can create more precise experiences depending on role, department, and seniority.
- Kissflow – Simple way to quickly build forms and workflows.
- Userlane – Provides workflow guidance to create a simpler experience.
- iSpring Learn – LMS onboarding tool that offers a mobile app, with plenty of choices for automated workflows.
- FileInvite – Excellent document portal that new hires can look to for any information they need.
- Fuse – Makes use of Google’s natural AI to guide learning for employees.
- Lanteria HR – HR platform that uses Microsoft Sharepoint and Office 365 for onboarding and learning management.
- AcquireTMs OPENdoor – Talent management solution for small and mid-sized companies for application tracking.
- GoCo – Offer letter management software that fully digitizes the hiring process.
- Zenefits – Streamlined onboarding platform that supports digital offer letters and background checks.
Is There Any Free Employee Onboarding Software?
While there are plenty of software solutions that have free trials, if you’re a small organization or someone who is a strong advocate for open-source software, you do have a few options.
Sentrifugo is an open-source HRMS. While it is free, it will be up to you to get it set up and running. It does have the trappings of most open-source software, where aspects like the user experience receive less focus than a paid solution.
For up to 50 employees, Freshworks is a free onboarding software option.
What Is Onboarding Software?
Onboarding software allows you to automate and track where new employees are with their onboarding process. As there are many steps to the onboarding process, having software keep track of everything, allowing you to assign tasks to the new hire or management, and ensuring they are receiving everything they need to know is an essential part of creating a good first impression upon starting a new role.
What Is Onboarding New Employees?
Onboarding is the timeframe of bringing new employees up to speed as they get settled into their new roles. This includes anything from meeting the team, learning the technology, understanding the roles and responsibilities of their job, and more. Onboarding can last anywhere from one day to a year.
For more on onboarding, here are a few of our articles you can check out:
- Top 8 Employee Onboarding Best Practices
- Ultimate New Hire Checklist: 10 Steps To Start Onboarding!
- How To Onboard Remote Employees So They Feel 100% Connected
- The Case For A New Employee Handbook (And What To Include)
- How To Nail New Employee Preboarding
- How To Write A 30 60 90 Day Plan For Your Org’s Onboarding
Need Expert Help Selecting The Right Training And Onboarding Software?
People Managing People has joined forces with the software comparison platform Crozdesk.com to assist you in finding the best tool for your needs. Crozdesk’s Training and Onboarding Software advisors can create a personalized shortlist of software solutions with unbiased recommendations to help you identify the solutions that best suit your business’s needs. Through our partnership you get free access to their bespoke software selection advice, removing both time and hassle from the research process.
It only takes a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a quick call at no cost or commitment. Based on your needs you’ll receive customized software shortlists listing the best-fitting solutions from their team of software advisors (via phone or email). They can even connect you with your selected vendor choices along with community negotiated discounts. To get started, please complete the form below:
There are a number of choices in regards to the best onboarding software. Whether you are a small company, or a Fortune 500, there’s something that will work for you.
If you’re looking for more insight into the world of onboarding and the employee experience, be sure to sign up to our mailing list.