There are seemingly countless employee training software solutions available, so figuring out which is right for you is tough. You want to deliver, manage, and track training programs for employees, but need to figure out which tool is the best fit. In this post, I make things simple, leveraging my experience in HR and people operations and using dozens of different emplyee training tools, to bring you this shortlist of the best employee training software.
What is Employee Training Software?
Employee training software is a digital tool designed to deliver, manage, and track training programs for employees. It streamlines the learning process, making it more efficient and accessible, and helps in developing the skills and knowledge of the workforce to meet organizational goals and industry standards.
Features include course creation for tailored learning, a content library for ready-made materials, progress tracking and reporting for monitoring development, interactive elements like videos and quizzes for engaging learning, assessment tools for evaluating skills, and feedback mechanisms for continuous improvement of training programs.
Trakstar provides several cloud-based solutions for performance management, applicant tracking, workforce analytics, and learning management. Its learning management system (LMS), in particular, is purpose-built for HR professionals looking to create robust training solutions, onboarding programs, learning paths, and upskilling content, promoting continuous growth.
Trakstar Learn facilitates HR leaders’ initiatives to streamline the learning experience for their entire workforce through a robust, SCORM-compliant learning management system. The LMS provides learners with easy access to meaningful content that will help them keep up to date with compliance requirements, safety regulations, or product/service training across different industries, from government and healthcare to eCommerce and higher education.
One of the key benefits of Trakstar Learn LMS is that it can be used online, in person, or in a hybrid environment when going through training, upskilling, and onboarding through online learning. The main goal of Trakstar’s LMS is to facilitate the education process through digital learning and development, online courses, and training management.
With Trakstar Learn, HR leaders can create and publish modern multimedia content for online learning and development. It allows them to upskill their entire workforce to reduce employee churn and improve engagement within a unified eLearning platform. The same platform that they use for onboarding new hires can also be used for ongoing employee training and development efforts.
Trakstar Learn removes the manual effort of enrolling employees individually through its auto-enrollment feature. All HR has to do is pick the appropriate training courses, the departments, specific personnel, or the entire workforce, and with just one click, they enroll them in a class. The online course materials and modules will be emailed to the enrolled employees automatically.
Connecteam is an employee training software solution that caters to remote workers and deskless teams for dynamic online learning and development. With a powerful and intuitive company app, users can manage, communicate, and train remote employees and deskless teams.
The software facilitates new hire onboarding, routine professional skills training, and regulatory courses for deskless employees and remote workers. Among its core features is the easy-to-use course creation tool. In addition to the user-friendly design, the course creation tool is flexible and customizable.
A mobile knowledge center is also available to keep deskless employees engaged, regardless of where they are. Instructors can leverage adaptable libraries to build a knowledge hub for remote teams, which is always accessible. They can also create an employee handbook, catalogs, menus, policies, and tips that employees in specific roles need to learn. All the information they need can be accessed with just one click and is always up-to-date with the Library function.
The user-friendly mobile app makes online training more straightforward and accessible to remote employees. The training courses can be easily divided into different chapters with visualized course completions to ensure that trainees can track their progress while on the go. There is also a continuous training option, allowing learners to pick up their training from where they left off.
Features available include employee timeline tracking, time tracking, dynamic employee smart groups and admin permissions, recurring shifts and templates, advanced filtering & bulk actions, recurring tasks, GPS geolocation stamps, and more.
Integrations include Paychex, Xero, Gusto, QuickBooks Payroll (online + desktop), Zapier, Google Calendar, API access, and others.
iSpring Learn is a robust, yet user-friendly, learning management system that requires no installation or complex IT deployment. It is a “grab-and-go” solution if you need to launch company-wide training quickly and get it all automated. You can set customized enrolment rules and automatically send enrolment messages to selected learners or entire teams to take courses that are tailored to their needs.
Learners can access the platform both in browsers and in the iSpring Learn mobile app. The LMS tracks all results on any device and prepares reports automatically. LMS admins can navigate reports using filters and get a comprehensive appraisal of employee training. Team leaders and department managers can see essential training statistics on their supervisor dashboards.
iSpring Learn integrates with Oracle, ADP, BambooHR, Salesforce, Workday, and Zoom. More integrations with iSpring Learn are available through REST/SOAP API.
iSpring Learn evolves with your business: it is white-label and can be integrated with many HR systems.
WeSchool is a learning management system (LMS) that guides businesses and educational institutions to create effective in-person and online courses, training programs, and other learning activities. But it goes a step further. WeSchool’s social learning features and easy-to-use interface engages users to favor retention and participation, which is further enhanced by its analytics and dashboard metrics.
Why I picked WeSchool:
I chose WeSchool because not only is it much easier to use than other LMSs out there, but the platform guides you to create personalized training paths regardless of experience. It's suitable for businesses and educational institutions of all sizes, and it can be easily customized to fit the specific needs of each organization.
From links, videos, PDFs, audio or documents, creating engaging and interactive courses is as simple as drag and drop. Instructors can easily create and manage courses, set up quizzes and assessments and upload or embed content directly into the platform or by uploading it from a service of their choice in whatever format they prefer.
Real-time data can be used to improve training experiences by understanding how users are engaging with training materials and assessments, the total number of training materials completed and the average time spent on individual assessments.
Organizations can seamlessly customize the look and feel of their WeSchool platform, allowing it to reflect their branding and be instantly recognizable to their users. The platform also offers a variety of communication touchpoints, including a discussion forum, private messaging, and conversations centered around content materials. These features enhance collaboration among users, ensuring a smooth and engaging learning experience.
WeSchool Standout Features & Integrations
Features include course creation and management, assessment creation, progress tracking, course usage reports, communication tools (both private and public), organizational tools, live sessions, and a mobile app for learning on the go. You can also design your own certificates for course completion and personalize your learning environment.
Integrations include Single Sign-On, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Zooms, and Webex - as well as any other video conference integration of preference. A perfect solution to not interfere with your current tool of choice.
Leapsome is an employee training platform that helps organizations connect the dots between learning, engagement, and performance. Chosen by companies like Spotify, Northvolt, and Babbel, Leapsome enables a continuous cycle of performance management and personalized learning that powers the growth of your people and business.
Leapsome comes with features such as personalized learning paths that help you develop employees with content that is easy to sequence and customize for specific teams or functions as well as learning schedules that let you control the pace of your learning paths to make sure that people spend the right time on each module.
Team leaders can define intervals and milestones in the progression of each path, design progress updates points where you can publish quizzes to test the effectiveness of your learning paths and gauge how individuals absorb the information, and access learning reports so you can check on the learning progress of your employees and understand exactly what is working and what needs tweaking within the learning process.
Leapsome integrates with HRIS, SSO, and workflow tools like Slack, Jira Software, Microsoft Teams, and Calendar Apps.
SkyPrep is a powerful and intuitive learning management system (LMS) that helps organizations train their employees with ease. SkyPrep’s easy-to-use online employee training software was developed to make the learning experience engaging and effortless for both admins and learners alike.
Following SkyPrep’s philosophy that training should be simple and not complicated their modern design, simplified navigation, and efficient user flows create a straightforward yet engaging employee experience. Thanks to their software design, users will find it easy to view information, access training material in the platform, and complete online courses as needed.
You can take advantage of built-in and customizable reporting to track employee performance and save time from automating course enrollments and training alerts. Features like gamification, knowledge checks, and our AI-like chatbot make learning engaging and interactive for your employees.
SkyPrep's LMS also comes with in-depth customer support. Every client on a paid plan is paired with a dedicated and knowledgeable Customer Success Manager who will create a personalized action plan to ensure your organization gets the most out of their training solution.
Whether businesses are looking to onboard new hires, upskill employees, or keep up with compliance requirements, SkyPrep makes the training experience easy and seamless.
SkyPrep integrates with ADP, Zoom, Salesforce, Paypal, Office365, Google, and more.
Absorb LMS is a learning management system with applications in employee training. With Absorb LMS, employee training becomes a valuable tool for establishing an organizational culture of learning.
You can customize the user experience, design, reporting and dashboards to fit the needs of every team. AI-powered features predict which training employees are likely to need and then connects them to it even if it's in the middle of a video course.
Intelligently crafted for all types of organizations and learners, Absorb LMS empowers people to meet their potential at every stage of their career. From onboarding new employees to meeting regulatory compliance standards, it keeps training on track and people moving forward.
Absorb LMS is built to scale with your evolving business needs, and a growing list of integrations with leading software providers such as Salesforce, ADP, Microsoft Teams and Zoom. It also provides fast access to thousands of ready-to-use courses through content library partners such as BizLibrary, Skillsoft, LinkedIn Learning and more.
Groundwork1 is a cloud-based employee training software that helps organizations create and manage online training programs that are delivered through email messages.
Its lesson designer allows you to create interactive and engaging content, incorporating multiple multimedia elements such as images, videos, and quizzes. Additionally, you can tailor the lessons to the unique needs of each employee based on their skill level and learning pace. This feature is handy for companies with remote and hybrid work models, as it provides consistent training opportunities to all employees regardless of location.
If you are worried about losing grip on people's training, Groundwork1 sends each email with personalized links. This means that once a user answers a quiz or watches a lesson, the system automatically identifies who did it. All of this information is stored in the backend and you can quickly access it, extract reports, and export them if needed.
Lessonly is a cloud-based elearning management system that makes it easy to build, share and track training courses from a single interface. Training managers can create unlimited courses and lessons featuring text, images, audio, and video.
Lessonly is popular with companies who need to get sales and customer service teams up to speed fast. The company claims to train people 62% faster than other learning platforms.
This tool integrates with popular platforms such as Salesforce, Zendesk, and Slack.
Trainual is a cloud-based learning and development system that organizes training modules in a centralized system. The system can be branded with a corporate logo and colors.
Managers can add teams, assign roles and create subjects as required. Videos, photos, and documents can be added to assist in employee training.
Trainual automates employee onboarding by associating content and processes with roles, departments, or locations. You can automatically assign content to new employees according to their duties.
The software integrates with many popular workplace apps such as Quickbooks Payroll, Justworks, BambooHR, Zenefits, Paylocity, Asana, Basecamp, and Loom.
Other Online Training Tools
Here are a few more employee training programs that are worth checking out if you need a few more options:
Best for white-labeling training materials
Best for progress and engagement reporting
Best for collaborative learning
Best for educating both internal and external audiences
Best for driving product adoption through education
Best for delivering AI-powered learning to any audience
Best for diverse learning styles
Best LMS for its interactive learning approach
Best for corporate training
Best for a large collection of business training materials
Selection Criteria for Employee Training Software
Wondering how I selected the best employee training software for this list? First and foremost, I drew on my years of personal experience coordinating internal compliance training for a large team that was spread out geographically. This involved creating a variety of training content, including training sessions for new hires as well.
Here are the main components I assessed during my evaluation:
First, I evaluated and compared a wide range of popular employee training management systems to ensure they covered the basic features you'd expect. The core functionalities that software systems must have in order to land a place in this list include:
- The ability to host training content in a variety of formats, including text, video, and audio to help with employee engagement
- The ability to track employee learning efficiently to ensure training compliance
- Templates and authoring tools to make the content creation process easier for learning and development teams
In addition to the core functionalities above, here are some additional features that are also important to consider when evaluating employee training software against the needs of your business:
- Corporate brand integration: The ability to incorporate your logo into the dashboard and training content and adjust the color scheme according to your corporate brand requirements. This helps to create a better employee learning experience.
- Flexible accessibility: The software should be easily accessible to employees in a format that works for them, whether they're using a desktop computer, a tablet, or a mobile app. This is especially important for deskless or mobile employees who work in the field or in unconventional settings.
- Personalization: A top-notch employee training management system will offer personalized training paths, customizable eLearning course maps, and other features centered around creating a good user experience.
- Employee feedback systems: Collecting employee feedback is always important. Training systems that include surveys, polls, and other feedback mechanisms allow your learning and development specialists to evaluate the effectiveness of their training.
- An assessment engine: A built-in system for analyzing and evaluating your employee's knowledge and information retention is important. By testing their knowledge through quizzes, you can be confident that they're absorbing the material they're exposed to. This is especially important for compliance training covering health & safety topics.
- Social learning tools: Learning in a group setting can have a powerful effect on employee engagement and retention, knowing everyone is going through the same training process. To support that idea, the best training systems include tools for real-time discussions and group collaboration.
- Reporting and analytics: The complexity of your reporting needs will vary according to your industry. However, it's important that the system you choose can produce statistics and reports covering individual and team performance. Reports detailing the amount of time your staff spend completing lessons and courses are also useful so you can adjust your training materials accordingly.
- Scalability: Watch out for systems with limitations on the number of user accounts you can have. Instead, the software should be capable of growing with your company, with more support available as your organization scales.
The user interface (UI) of your training software is important since it will have a big impact on how your employees react to using it. That's why I selected training platforms with clean and uncluttered user interfaces to create a better user experience (UX). It should be easy to navigate for your staff, including on mobile devices.
While usability does go hand-in-hand with UI and UX, I prefer to evaluate it separately. To ensure ease of use, I selected systems that are simple and straightforward to use for all your staff — administrators and employees alike. You want a system that's intuitive enough to remove any roadblocks and avoid a lot of back-and-forth between your employees and your human resources staff.
It's important to ensure that the employee training software you choose integrates with the other key software systems your organization is using. Key integrations include HR management systems, document management systems, performance management systems, single sign-on applications, and work operating systems.
Value for Price
Let's be honest. Often it all comes down to price. Since employee training software is modular by design, most of the software vendors in this list only provide pricing details upon request, since they'll customize the software for your needs. To get more details on their pricing plans, I encourage you to visit their website and request a customized quote. I also tried to pick software that offers free trials or demos. That way, you can get a hands-on sense of their software before you invest too much time in it.
What's the difference between an employee training system and a learning management system?
That’s a good question, and often the lines are a little blurry since many of the software vendors in this space try to serve both purposes — the needs of corporate trainers and the needs of learners — within one software application. However, there are some core differences between the two.
Employee training software (sometimes referred to as a training management system) is designed to help internal teams manage training programs within their organization. Their primary focus is on training administration, compliance tracking, and sometimes scheduling and training logistics for blended learning or hybrid teams. They are often used to track mandatory training completion, such as required health and safety training, to meet specific industry requirements.
In contrast, learning management systems are designed around the needs of learners and are used more often to deepen employee engagement and improve employee retention by giving your staff the opportunities to voluntarily learn new skills. Their primary focus is on providing a comprehensive learning experience, and they typically include more open formats such as discussion forums and social learning capabilities.
What are the main benefits of using employee training software?
There are several key benefits to using employee training software. In a previous role, I was responsible for managing all of my company’s internal training requirements, so I’m singing these praises with lots of experience behind me!
- Organizational consistency and standardization: By capturing your training materials in a dedicated software, you can roll out the same training repeatedly and consistently for your staff. That’s true no matter where they’re located, or when they decide to complete their training. They’ll be accessing the same materials, rather than suffering the consequences of having a group of local trainers who may each follow their own training style and method of delivery.
- Increased productivity through a streamlined delivery: When you make training easier for your employees, they’ll be far more likely to complete their training tasks on time. They also won’t need to waste time switching between applications or filling out sign-off forms with everything housed within one centralized system. Instead, they’ll save precious time that could be spent on more productive aspects of your regular business operations.
- Enhanced skill development using skill gap analysis: Many employee training systems include tools to identify skill gaps within your workforce so you can created targeted training programs to address those specific needs. This is beneficial for the company and individual employees since it will improve their overall performance and knowledge, enabling them to do their jobs (or future jobs) with more skill and confidence.
- Adaptability to change: These systems make it easy to create new internal training on the fly, making it possible to adapt to unexpected situations. As an example, when the COVID-19 pandemic first hit, myself and numerous others spent countless hours creating training around COVID-friendly office-use practices. This went through multiple rounds edits, and was eventually distributed to staff by email. Of course, due to public health policy changes, we had to change it numerous times and keep resending it to our staff. Had we used a training management system, the creation and delivery process would have been a lot faster and easier to manage.
Any tips for how to select the best employee training software for my organization?
The best way to ensure you pick training software that satisfies all your needs is to brainstorm exactly what you need the training software for and how you plan to use it. To guide you through the selection process, start by answering these questions:
- Will your training materials be designed for internal or external use?
- Will your training materials be used in your onboarding process for new hires?
- Do you plan to sell your courses to external users at any point in the future?
- Do your learners need personalized coaching in addition to training?
- Do you need software to manage industry-specific training with strict compliance requirements?
- Are your internal training requirements specific to health and safety?
Once you have the answers to these questions, you’ll have a more thorough understanding of the type of employee training software you should invest in.
Other Resources for Employee Development
With training, learning, and employee development on your mind, we have a few other resources that might also interest you. Here's a collection of other articles to help you train and develop your workforce:
- Best Onboarding Software for Training New Hires
- Training Remote Workers: Strategies for Success in the Digital Age
- How A Learning Management System Can Benefit Your Business
- Key Learning Management System (LMS) Features You Need To Know
- Training Program Template
- 5 Methods to Help Put Employees in the Driver's Seat of their Career Development
- Best Training Management Software for Skill Building
- 5 Employee Learning Trends to Shape Your Learning Strategy
To get the latest news from the world of employee training software, be sure to sign up for our newsletter. We’ll deliver new insights from top thinkers directly to your inbox.
And remember to check back regularly for more useful posts on using software to manage people effectively.