In this review I’m going to share my analysis and evaluation from my hands-on experience with Rippling. But first, if you’re just beginning your search for the best HR platforms, check out my picks of the best workforce management software solutions. You probably already know Rippling is among the most popular HR products out there, but you need to better understand what’s good, and not so good about it. This in-depth Rippling review will walk you through pros and cons, features and functionality, to help guide you to better understand its capabilities and suitability for your needs.
Rippling: Product Overview
Rippling streamlines HR, IT, and finance processes in a unified platform, making it an ideal choice for small to medium-sized businesses that aim to manage employee data and systems efficiently. By automating various administrative tasks, Rippling significantly enhances productivity. It effectively addresses common challenges such as employee onboarding, data synchronization across different platforms, and the management of multiple HR functions. Among its best features are a user-friendly design, extensive integration options with other software, and robust security measures, which collectively make it a compelling choice for businesses looking to optimize their operations.
- User Experience: Simple and intuitive - Rippling offers a user-friendly interface that simplifies complex HR processes.
- Integration Capacity: Extensive compatibility - The platform integrates with numerous third-party applications, enhancing its functionality.
- Security Standards: Robust and reliable - Rippling employs advanced security measures to protect sensitive employee data.
- Cost Factor: Potentially expensive - Some users might find Rippling's pricing model more costly compared to other HR software.
- Feature Overload: Overwhelming at times - The extensive range of features might overwhelm new users or small businesses.
- Customer Support: Limited in scope - There are instances where customer support might not meet all user expectations, especially in specialized queries.
In my experience, Rippling stands out for its exceptional integration capabilities and user-friendly interface, making it a strong contender in the HR software market. Compared to others, its robust security protocols are impressive, offering peace of mind regarding data protection. However, its cost can be a deterrent for smaller businesses or those with tighter budgets. While its plethora of features is an asset, it can also be a double-edged sword, potentially overwhelming for users seeking simplicity. Its customer support, although generally competent, sometimes falls short in addressing more complex or unique issues. Judging its overall performance, Rippling is best suited for businesses that prioritize comprehensive functionality and integration with other applications and can afford a bit of a learning curve. It's particularly adept in environments where managing a diverse range of HR tasks efficiently is crucial.
Rippling: A Deep Dive
- Employee Onboarding Automation: Rippling stands out for its automated employee onboarding process. It can set up payroll, benefits, and apps for new hires in 90 seconds.
- IT Device Management: Unique among HR platforms, Rippling allows direct management of employee devices. This includes installing or updating software remotely.
- Customizable Workflow Automation: Rippling offers highly customizable workflow automation. Users can design workflows that trigger based on specific events, a rare feature in HR software.
Other Key Features
- Employee Self-Service: Allows employees to update personal info, making HR management more efficient. Unique in its ease and range of accessible data.
- Benefits Administration: Manages employee benefits. Stands out in its integration with payroll and compliance features.
- Payroll Processing: Simplifies payroll, including tax filings. Unique in how it integrates with time tracking and benefits.
- Time and Attendance: Tracks employee hours and integrates with payroll. The integration level here is more advanced than in many competitors.
- App Management: Manages and secures company apps. Unique in its breadth of manageable apps and integration with IT systems.
- Device Management: Offers IT support for employee devices. This feature is notably absent in many HR software options.
- Custom Reporting: Provides extensive custom reporting options. Its depth and flexibility in reporting are superior to many competitors.
- Compliance: Ensures business compliance with various regulations. Notably comprehensive in its scope compared to similar platforms.
- Global Payroll: Supports international payroll processing. Its global reach is a differentiator in the HR software market.
- Learning Management: Includes a system for employee training and development. Stands out for its integration with other HR functions.
|Time & Attendance Tracking
|Recruitment & Applicant Tracking
|Learning & Development Management
|Self Service Portal
|Employee Engagement Tools
|Social Collaboration Tools
|Custom Workflow Creation
Ease Of Use
Rippling's interface is intuitive, making navigation and organization straightforward. The onboarding process is well-structured, although businesses with complex HR needs might find the initial setup demanding. The depth of features, while valuable, can sometimes make the tool-less straightforward for smaller businesses or those with simpler HR requirements.
Rippling offers a range of support channels, including documentation, webinars, and live chat. Response times are generally prompt. However, some users report challenges in getting specialized support for complex issues, and there can be inconsistencies in the level of assistance provided across different support channels.
Rippling boasts a wide array of native integrations with leading software like Salesforce, Slack, and Zoom, enhancing its utility across various business functions. It offers an API, allowing for custom integrations, and has add-ons to extend capabilities in areas like payroll and benefits management.
- Core HR Platform: $8/user/month (min 5 seats) + $35 base fee per month. Includes basic HRIS features and employee self-service.
- Full-Service Payroll: Additional $8/user/month. Covers comprehensive payroll processing and tax compliance.
- Benefits Administration: Custom pricing. Integrates employee benefits management with payroll and HRIS.
- Time & Attendance: Additional $5/user/month. Tracks employee hours and integrates with payroll.
Rippling: Best Use Cases
Who would be a good fit for Rippling?
Rippling is well-suited for medium to large businesses that require comprehensive HR solutions with a focus on automation and IT management. It's ideal for companies with a need for robust integrations and those managing a diverse workforce, possibly across multiple locations or countries.
Who would be a bad fit for Rippling?
Small businesses or startups with limited budgets or basic HR needs might find Rippling overwhelming due to its extensive feature set and cost. Companies seeking simple, straightforward HR tools without the need for advanced integrations or IT device management may not fully utilize Rippling's capabilities.
What is the difference between Rippling and a PEO provider?
Rippling is an HR software that automates various HR processes, while a PEO (Professional Employer Organization) provides comprehensive HR services, including legal compliance and employee benefits management. Rippling can integrate with PEO providers but is primarily a technology solution.
How does Rippling handle PTO (Paid Time Off) requests and management?
Rippling offers a PTO management feature that allows employees to request time off directly through the platform. Managers can approve or deny requests, and the system automatically updates attendance records and payroll.
Can employees clock in and out using Rippling?
Yes, Rippling includes a time-tracking feature where employees can clock in and out. This data is integrated with payroll management for real-time timekeeping and payroll processing.
What options are available for employee onboarding and offboarding in Rippling?
Rippling automates both onboarding and offboarding processes. It includes customizable templates for onboarding checklists and ensures transition during offboarding by revoking access to corporate systems and ensuring compliance with offboarding procedures.
Does Rippling provide support for enrollment in benefits and insurance plans?
Yes, Rippling simplifies the enrollment process for various employee benefits, including insurance plans. It allows employees to enroll directly through the platform and integrates this information with payroll and HR records.
How does Rippling integrate with corporate cards and direct deposit for payroll management?
Rippling can integrate with corporate card providers for expense management and supports direct deposit setup for payroll. This streamlines payroll management by automating expense tracking and ensuring timely and accurate salary payments.
Is there a mobile app available for Rippling?
Yes, Rippling offers a mobile app, that provides access to various HR and payroll services on the go, including time tracking, PTO requests, and employee management.
Can Rippling integrate with third-party apps for enhanced workforce management?
Absolutely, Rippling stands out for its extensive ability to integrate with a wide range of third-party apps. This integration capability enhances overall workforce management by streamlining different processes and ensuring data consistency across platforms.
Rippling Company Overview & History
Rippling is a tech-driven company that specializes in streamlining HR, IT, and finance processes through its unified platform, primarily serving small to medium-sized businesses across various industries. Founded and led by CEO Parker Conrad, who also co-founded Zenefits, Rippling is a private entity headquartered in San Francisco, California. The company stands out for its mission to simplify work by unifying back-office systems, a vision reflected in its rapid growth and technological advancements. Notable milestones in Rippling's journey include substantial funding rounds and recognition in the HR software space for innovation and expansion. The team, including experienced board members and advisors, contributes significantly to Rippling's strategic growth and product evolution, continuously enhancing its features and integrations to meet evolving business needs.
Rippling Summary: The Bottom Line
Rippling distinguishes itself in the HR software market by uniquely combining HR, IT, and finance management. Its standout feature is the automation of employee onboarding, integrating payroll, benefits, and IT setup. The platform's user-friendly interface simplifies complex processes, making it accessible for all users. Its extensive integration capabilities with third-party applications enhance its versatility significantly. Moreover, Rippling's robust security measures and innovative device management feature for remote workforce management are particularly notable, offering a level of functionality and security not commonly found in similar HR tools.
Alternatives to Rippling
If Rippling doesn’t seem like a great fit, or you want to check out a few more options, you should check out our pick of the best HR and Payroll Software. I’ve given a quick overview below of a few tools that people often compare with Rippling.
- Gusto: Often favored for small businesses due to its more straightforward payroll solutions, Gusto excels in simplifying payroll and tax processes for smaller teams.
- BambooHR: Preferred for its user-friendly interface and focus on employee performance management, BambooHR is highly regarded for its tools that enhance employee engagement and HR analytics.
- ADP Workforce Now: Chosen by larger enterprises for its extensive suite of HR tools, ADP Workforce Now stands out for its scalability and comprehensive features suited for managing a large workforce.
In summary, Rippling stands out as a comprehensive solution for businesses looking to efficiently manage a combination of HR, IT, and finance processes. Its strengths lie in its automated onboarding, powerful integration options, and stringent security protocols. Ideal for small to medium-sized businesses, Rippling offers a user-friendly platform that simplifies complex administrative tasks. I recommend it to companies seeking versatile and robust HR software. For those considering Rippling or currently using it, your comments and shared experiences are welcome, as they provide valuable insights for others evaluating their HR software options.